Pages

Monday, July 16, 2012

Etsy 817 Artist Spotlight- Loopwocket

Etsy 817 would like to introduce you to one of our newest members Loopwocket.



What are your Etsy shop name and link?

My shop is Loopwocket and it’s at loopwocket.etsy.com.


What do you make and sell in these shops?
I currently make and sell tie dyed clothing and beaded jewelry.


Where else can we find you online or off?
I have a Facebook fan page where I post new listings and promotions: facebook.com/loopwocket

What inspires you to create your art?
I start with quality supplies, and get ideas from there. I love going to the craft store and being inspired.


When did you start your business and what inspired you to do so?
I just started in May after my mom convinced me to sell some of my products at a local festival with her.


What were you doing career wise when you decided to create your own business?

I had just been laid off from a teacher’s assistant job.


What has been your biggest obstacle so far and how did you overcome it?

Definitely staying focused. My mind tends to go all over the place, so I have to force myself to get stuff done like taking photos and posting listings.


Have your friends and family supported your dream?
My mom is the one who started it all, my husband is always supportive, and I have one great friend who is always giving me input on the products and nagging me to get stuff done. I couldn’t have done any of it without them.


What are the positives and negatives about being your own boss?
I love working at home on my own time, but I’m not very focused. I’ve had to learn ways to stay motivated.


Where do you work from?
Our tiny one-bedroom apartment. It’s small, but it works.


Have you been using social media to grow your business?
Yes! I have a Facebook page where I post new listings immediately and do exclusive promotions.


Who are your entrepreneurial role models? What is inspiring about them?
I have loved Etsy for a long time before starting my own shop, and there are several shops that I’ve loved for years. They inspire me with their beautiful products and their success. I try to learn from them.


How did you learn and acquire the skills you use to make your business successful and/or how do you continue to grow and learn?
I’ve been beading since I was a toddler, and my mom started me tie dying about 5 years ago. I am still learning how to get my name out thee and attract buyers. The Etsy Success blog has been indispensable. 


What's the best piece of business advice you’ve ever been given?
Don’t give up.


What memorable responses have you had to your work?
I have a lot of friends who have loved my work, but it never felt as real as when I watched people’s reactions to it at the festival. Seeing a child’s face light up or an adult exclaim how the tie dye took them back to their childhood was just the best.


What do you like about your work?
I like being able to work at my own pace, and I like the idea of sharing my art with the world.


Professionally, what’s your goal?
I’ve only made two sales in the two months I’ve been here, so I’d really just like to sell stuff.


What is your favorite product or service that you offer?
I only make stuff I like, so there’s always a little bit of “Oh, do I really need to sell this? I could keep it…” whenever I make stuff. My favorites are probably the fandom stuff (Hogwarts Unity Bracelets, Courage Bracelets), because it means the most.

What’s your favorite color?
Yellow!


What superpower would you want to have and why?
Either flight or emotion manipulation. That is such a difficult question!


Name something you love, and why.
I love a good cup of tea. I don’t think there is anything more comforting.

No comments: